Montag, 21. Dezember 2009

Challenging myself (Week 52)

While organizing my closet, I came across a few items which I've bought a looong time ago but haven't even worn once ever since.

Partly, I blame mirrors at H&M and alike making us look less pale and more skinny, which have numerously encouraged me to buy pieces which would usually be far off my comfort zone. Have you ever noticed the effect? I find it kinda funny how my face looks really long when mirrored twice by the glass in the back, but I hate how it tricks me into making bad decisions. Plus, I find it interesting that marketing has spent enough time on women's body image and buying behaviour to come up with these skinnifying mirrors (is that a word?).

Anyway, I decided to challenge myself and try to make my forgotten pieces work for my regular clothing habits for one last time - each item at a time, playing around with a different one every week.


For this week, I have picked the black satin blouse displayed above which I purchased at a local H&M years ago. It's been hanging in my closet for ages, and I was about to give it away several times (thus all the ugly wrinkles), but for some odd reason I've always held on to it. I'll try to combine it into different looks until I find atleast one I like.

I think it might work okay with a cardigan, but I'm not quite sure yet. I'm not that good at combining, accessorizing and layering items (simple and neutral, you know - this is what makes that project a real challenge instead of a fun game), so I'll have to see.

2 Kommentare:

  1. its incredibly versatile! Over a sleeveless turtleneck or with a long scarf, or under a jacket. Hope it turns out more of a fun game than a challenge.

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. @Jenny: I think you're right, and I'm really wondering why I haven't been wearing the blouse more often now that I've been playing around a little. I'll have to see how much fun the challenge will be, though. ;)

    AntwortenLöschen